Summer tends to be a time when crocheters do a little less crocheting than they would during the rest of the year. We put aside our hooks and yarn in favor of outdoor adventures and cooler hobbies. No one is dreaming of cozy winter hats and scarves when it’s hot out and the last thing you want to work on by the pool is a heavy, warm blanket! However, some of us are just so in love with the hobby that we can’t stop even if the warmer aspect of the craft is not appealing. Some of us just have to pull out those hooks and do SOMETHING! Something creative, something beautiful, something that induces that calm and contentment that we only find when creating something out of yarn.
Thankfully hats, scarves and blankets are far from the only items that can be made with crochet! In fact, there are so many options for cooler, lighter summer crochet projects to keep us busy all summer long. Here are just a few summer crochet patterns that I found to inspire you! I picked one of my favorite, FREE patterns for each category below, but there are many more patterns to discover. Feel free to add a link to your own favorite summer pattern in the comments, or visit my Pinterest account for even more crochet pattern ideas and inspiration for every season!
- Sun Hats – Who wouldn’t love a cute sun hat to wear at the beach? Better yet you can even MAKE it on the beach! I’ve been eyeing this adorable Beach Day Sunhat Pattern from A Crocheted Simplicity for a while now.
- Jewelry – From earrings, to necklaces, to bracelets, jewelry is lightweight, easy to carry and perfect to spruce up your summer wardrobe. I love the look of this simple Natural Cuff from bgh.com
- Sandals – I don’t know who came up with this brilliant idea, but I’ve been seeing these tutorials around for making crochet sandals out of simple flip flops and I love it. These Crochet Sandals with Flip Flop Soles from Sewrella are so cute!
- Beach wraps, cover-ups or sarongs – I just love cover-ups in the summer! They are stylish, feminine and just enough cover and warmth to keep you comfy without being hot and sticky! This “Infinite Ways” Cover Up from Mama In A Stitch is a brand new pattern and I just love the drape and tassels!
- Summery Tops – The ability to make an airy texture with crochet makes it the perfect craft for creating light tops for warmer weather. I adore the simple class of this breezy Granny Squared Crochet Top from One Dog Woof!
- Beach Totes – This is exactly what I need for a beach excursion… a ginormous bag! Tiny bags will not do for the beach! The bigger the better. I love this Beach Tote Bag from Fave Crafts.
- Water Bottle Holder – This is such a practical idea for all those summer hikes and excursions! Water bottle carriers! This will keep your hands free and let you avoid large bags or backpacks, while keeping your water on you at all times. It doesn’t hurt that they’re cute! I like this cheery Water Bottle Carrier pattern from Stuck At Home Mom. P.S. They make wonderful end-of-year teacher gifts!
- Kitchen Accessories – You can never have enough potholders, dish cloths and scrubbies in the kitchen. And these items are light and quick to make! Even better for gifts throughout the year! Are you one of those amazing people who plans for Christmas gifts beginning in July? What better way to start stocking up than starting with some handmade gifts for the home? Here is an Extra Thick Potholder pattern from right here on Cute As A Button Crochet & Craft.
- Bath Accessories – Just like kitchen accessories, bath items are quick and easy projects that you can never have enough of and make great gifts! Aren’t these Reusable Crochet Face Scrubbies from Dabbles & Babbles so pretty and happy?
- Market Bags – Summer is for Farmer’s Markets! And who doesn’t want a cute bag to put all their fresh fruits and veggies in? This stylish Farmer’s Market Bag pattern is from Just Be Crafty.
- Hair Accessories – And by hair accessories I do not mean hot and sweaty headbands or hats! I am talking about pretty and breezy decorations for yourself or your little one to wear on a warm summer evening! Here is a perfectly sweet Crochet Hair Bow tutorial from Cynthia Banessa.
- Cup Cozies – Cup Cozies are not only for hot beverages! They are also great for keeping the sweaty outside of your large iced tea or blended white mocha nice and dry and comfy to hold, while also making that ice last a little longer!
Here is a cute example from Caroline Stefanie on Ravelry.(This pattern has been discontinued since the original post. Here is a alternative pattern from Carroway Crochet).
- 4th of July items – 4th of July is the biggest celebration of the summer here in the U.S.! What better way to make use of your craft in the summer than to whip up some celebratory decorations for the holiday! These “Celebrate” Cozy & Coffee Sleeve patterns from A Crocheted Simplicity are so festive!
- Pillows – With new seasons I often have the urge to change up the decorations in the house. Unique pillows are one of the easiest things to change up in a room to give it a new look. This Blooming Flower Cushion from Attic24 is perfect for bringing a bright summer vibe to any room!
- Garlands – Along the lines of changing up the decorations to fit the new season, garlands are a great way to add to the decor, whether it’s a permanent fixture or a party decoration. This Tropical Pineapple Bunting from By Hand London just shouts bright, happy and sweet!
I hope you enjoyed this summer-time round up! Again, feel free to add a link to your own favorite summer pattern in the comments, or visit my Pinterest account for even more crochet ideas and have fun crocheting all summer long!
More Round Ups You Might Enjoy:
5 Crochet Items to Sell at Summer Craft Fairs
7 Free Crochet Patterns for Spring Cleaning
Jo Wendland says
Ta for all these lovely patterns. Jo
[email protected] says
You’re welcome Jo! 😊